To do in Torrevieja
Updated April 17, 2023
There are plenty of things to do in Torrevieja. Relax on the beach. Visit the Torrevieja water park Aquopolis. See the salt lakes with flamingos and other bird life. Take a boat tour to the island of Tabarca. If you like golfing there are several courses around Torrevieja. For shopping you can explore the Habaneras Shopping Centre or Zenia Boulevard. Or maybe you will enjoy the Friday Market or the Craft Market? For more inspiration, see the tips below or this Tourist map, or the official tourist site (mobile version of the site), or the iPhone app or Android app.
- Get around
- See and do, swimming, spas etc.
- See and do, shopping etc.
- See and do, eating & drinking etc.
- See and do, things to see etc.
- See and do, things to do etc.
- See and do, cycling, walking, sports etc.
- Information about Money
- Tourist information
- Spanish times for meals
Get around (↑)
- Local buses: Here and here (PDF) are maps showing the local bus lines in Torrevieja. For more info, see here. Check out the Costa Azul app for Android and iOS (iPhone).
Pay with cash: The cost is 1,50€ for a ride. They do not exchange large banknotes, so have coins with you if you pay cash.
Pay with the Móbilis card: The cost is 1,20€ for the ride. You buy the card on the bus or at the buss station, the card costs 2€ and you have to fill it with 10€ or 20€. The card is not personal, so you can pay for other people or let other people borrow it. More info here.
- Airport bus: Here is info about the Alicante airport bus. Check out the Costa Azul app for Android and iOS (iPhone). Torrevieja bus terminal is 1 km from the apartment.
- Taxi: You can also use taxi. The two bigger ones, Tele Taxi Torrevieja (Android iOS iPhone) and Radio Taxi Torrevieja (Android), have apps.
- Map: Here is the official Torrevieja tourist map and here is a map showing interesting locations around Alicante. This is a map with info in Swedish from torreviejainfo.se with over 280 different kind of locations and tips.
- For even more tips for what to see and do etc., just scroll down 😊
See and do (↑)
- (↑) Beaches, the nearest one is Playa del Cura.
- (↑) The second nearest one is Playa de Los Locos.
- Playa de Los Naufragos have an inflatable obstacle course during high season (about ~6€/30min).
- Water parks, Aquopolis and Aquapark Flamingo.
- Swimming pools, one here and another with restaurant & minigolf here (entrance fee).
- Hot springs at Balneario de Archena or Camping Fuente.
- Spa at Hotel Lodomar or La Marina.
- (↑) Shopping info, see here and here or visit Habaneras or Zenia Boulevard.
- Markets, also see here, the biggest one is the Friday market.
- Grocery store during day time, nearest is “Masymas” and open to 21:00 (180m, closed on some Sundays. To see open/closing times, 1 Go here, 2 Select Alicante, 3 Select Torrevieja, 4 Click Buscar). More stores here.
- Grocery stores during night time open 24 hours (650m), open to 01:30 (450m). But those opening hours may change.
- (↑) Restaurants .
- Wine tasting, in Torrevieja here & here, even more here & here or outside at Bodega Faelo (closest), Casa Cecilia, Barahonda, Bodega Lavia, Vina Elena, Bodega Mendoza, Francisco Gomez Bodega
- & 🥳 💃🕺🍸 For some party in the evening, check out the pubs around and at Apolo street or the party places by the pier.
- (↑) Real submarine museum.
- Other museums
- Salt lakes.
- About birds.
- Tourist Train around Torrevieja or to visit the salt plants.
- (↑) Popular things to do.
- Local happenings (in English), here in Spanish (here in Swedish)
- Calendar of Torrevieja 2023 festivities and holidays.
- Activities for kids and youngsters.
- Boat tours, maybe a boat trip to the island of Tabarca
- Sailors for a day
- Fishing from boat or get a license from the Tourist info (you may need a NIE number) or from this fishing store.
- Movies at the cinema Cines IMF in Spanish or English (VO =without headphones) here.
- Visit Alicante with the local bus (~5€ one way)
- Visit other popular places with Viajes Rosa Tours or Coach Trips. Like Guadalest, Benidorm, spas etc. etc.
- (↑) A nice walk on the Boardwalk.
- Minigolf Las Salinas.
- Golf, see here about courses and here for bookings and here about clubs.
- Hiking, walks and jogging.
- Outdoor adventures, Costa Blanca Quad Tours (www, Facebook, Tripadvisor)
- Horse back riding at Costa Blanca Quad Tours (www, Facebook, Tripadvisor) or El Refugio (www ) or Hipica Gilillo (www, Facebook, Tripadvisor)
- Rent a bike (also electric) at Bikemania (here) or Interbike (here) or I love bike (here) or Grupo rubio (here) or a scooter (here).
- Gyms (nearest one 550m).
- Torrevieja Sports City 50 m long Olympic pool with 8 lanes, 2 outdoor pools (June-September), tennis , squash , “paddle tennis”, gymnasium, fitness and aerobic groups, “fronton” area for “pelota”, rowing (in Torrevieja Bay), facilities for team sports like basketball, soccer, athletics, handball, gymnastics, rugby, volleyball and martial arts. Use the app to book. See location on Google Maps.
- And much more…
- For tapas, coffee etc – round off to the nearest euro or other appropriate amount, leave the smallest coins.
- Lunch or simpler dinner, up to even numbers (a few euros or cents).
- Nice restaurant in the evening 5-10%, up to even numbers.
- Taxi – round up, but also okay to leave no tip.
- Card payment
- ALWAYS choose to see and pay in Euro! Very often you need to choose, to see or use € or your local currency!
- Choosing other currency will give an extremely bad exchange rate.
- Never ever use ATMs that is just called “ATM” and is not a banks ATM, they can have fees up to 25% of the withdrawal!
- Always select to see and withdraw money in Euro, not your own local currency, carefully check what is suggested.
- Choosing other currency will give an extremely bad exchange rate.
- Almost all banks have extra fees when you use theirs ATMs, but not Deutsche bank.
- Torrevieja Bank Holidays
Tourist information (↑)
- Tourist information and events calendar in Spanish, English, Swedish and Russian: Torrevieja.com.
- Also try the Torrevieja City Guide app for iOS (iPhone) or Android.
- Maybe also check popular things to do at Tripadvisor.
- Tourist information offices are here.
- There are also pharmacies, health centers, hospitals and police stations.
In an emergency, call 112.
Spanish times for meals (↑)
You can eat when you want, but here is how the Spaniards do.
Breakfast (desayuno) at 8.30-10.00
Breakfast usually consists of coffee with baguette or some kind of pastry eg Magdalena or Churros. Many just take a cup of coffee and nothing else (surely still full after the very late dinner!). One goes out in the morning and buys freshly baked bread. If you only drink a cup of coffee for breakfast, it is common to eat something small between 10.30 – 12.00, similar food as for breakfast.
Lunch (almuerzo or la comida) at 14.00-16.00
Before lunch you eat some tapas (egg dishes such as tortillas, various cooked vegetables, Spanish sausages, chips, minihamburger etc.). You often get a random tapa for free if you order a caña (small glass of beer), a little glass of wine or other drink. You eat a tapa in a cafe even if you have lunch at home afterwards. At lunch it is affordable prices, you can get 2 or 3 dishes cheap in many restaurants.
It is also now that it is siesta, many shops have closed at least 14-17.
Between meals food (merienda) at 17.30-19.30
In order for you to get through to dinner, you can now take a sandwich, small piece of sausage or cheese, a cup of coffee or something sweet as ice cream or churros in chocolate.
Dinner (cena) at 20-23
If you didn’t get any merienda, there will be tapas and beer before dinner.
Here is a film by Alegria International Real Estate about Playa del Cura, the beach located next to the apartment. It gives a good picture of how the beach looks at high season in July and August. The beach has public restrooms, also for disabled people. The beach is shallow so it is safe to swim even far out. There are also life guards, should something go wrong.
A video about Torrevieja in Spanish, to get you in the right mood 🙂
For even more videos, click here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=torrevieja